Subject: Re: fifo and ring overruns w/ NetBSD1.2.1 GENERIC#0
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/03/1997 18:00:39

> Bill Studenmund wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 28 Nov 1997, Harry wrote:
> >
> > > Hi there!
> > >
> > > I am having problems with zstty0: ring and fifo overruns.

Note: in 1.3 the names changed.

fifo overflow -> silo overflow
ring overflow -> flood

> > > This occured after setting up PPP on my SE/30. The connection speed is
> > > 57600 and crtscts ist set in /etc/ppp/options. The cable is a hardware
> > > handshaking I wired myself.

> > What you want is cdtrcts, a new flow control mode, added to NetBSD
> > recently. It's in 1.3. Also, ppp has been fixed to support cdtrcts. :-)
> >
> > I've used ppp on my IIsi at 57600 w/ cdtrcts w/o any problems, though the
> > machine was loaded heavily. w/o cdtrcts was unusable.
>
> Bill, doesn't this require a specially wired cable?  Or will a normal
> hardware-handshake cable work for this mode?

Yes, but I assumed the cable Harry made worked right.

> Also, can your modified stty support output speeds higher than 57600?

stty's not the problem. stty will defer to the driver as to the validity of
a rate. The driver won't support higher than 57600 on the internal clock,
as older macs will melt with it.

What machines support higher than 57600 under MacOS? We can probably
change the machdep tables for 1.4.

Take care,

Bill