Subject: Re: NetBSD PPP
To: wb2oyc <WB2OYC@bellatlantic.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@landau.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/03/1997 17:42:49
On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, wb2oyc wrote:

> If you're using Bill's kit, its already there.
>
> Try doing a 'route flush' before connecting via ppp, IF you want the
> ppp link to be the defaultroute!  Thats what I do.  If I don't, I get
> errors from the pppd trying to set the default, because theres already
> another one defined!  If you don't want that link to provide the default,
> you should REMOVE that statement from the options file, and probably
> setup some static routes.

Rather than always "route flush"ing, you can set the rc scripts up to
never bother putting in a default route to begin with. I think you just
remove the "defaultroute" file in /etc. Look at /etc/netstart to see.

> I'd like to ask a question regarding PPP myself, and that is, I see
> some process fill the link with traffic as soon as I try to do anything
> across it (telnet, netstat, anything).  It kills the performance and it
> never seems to stop!  I thought it was routed, and I still suspect its
> advertising its routes, or whatever it does.  But, I killed it, and it
> still persists.  Is the kernel doing this because it sees the two possible
> networks (my ethernet and now the network to which I'm connecting)?

Please check exactly which program it is.

I doubt you need to run routed. Kill it, and edit /etc/rc.conf to not
start it.

Take care,

Bill