Subject: Re: netatalk questions
To: Nico van Eikema Hommes <hommes@ccc.uni-erlangen.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@landau.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/03/1997 12:01:45
On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, Nico van Eikema Hommes wrote:

>    Hi Armen,
>
> >netatalk is appletalk for unix as far as i can see.
> >is netatalk as complete as appletalk? can appleshare servers be mounted
> >on unix boxes?
>
> I'm not aware of such an extension for Netatalk, but there is an extension
> for the Columbia AppleTalk Package (aka CAP) called "afpmount", which lets
> you mount an AppleShare volume as if it were an NFS volume. According to
> the README file, it is available from ftp.funet.fi.
> I have no experience with it (we don't need this functionality), btw.

No such feature exists for Netatalk at present. One problem is that
Netatalk doesn't support the afp client calls at present. :-) But a number
of (mostly Linux) folks are working on it.

> >can the unix box's hard drive be mounted by macs via
> >appleshare? what about printers on appletalk? can netatalk be tunneled
> >over ip? (this would be cool, btw :)
>
> There are patches for AppleShare-IP, but AFAIK not for tunneling. CAP with
> UAR (Unix Appletalk Router) can do tunneling.

Correct. Adrian Sun's AppleshareIP patches support NetBSD. And it compiles
right out of the box.

> >The only thing i can remember about netatalk is that it does not work over
> >serial ports yet.
> >is there a netbsd-specific netatalk page on the net somewhere? all i can
> >seem to find are linux ones.
>
> I recently read (here?) that it compiles out of the box, but have not tried
> it yet: it is of limited use for a standalone machine :-)

As I said above, Adrian's works. Also, there is a NetBSD-specific package
on puma.

Take care,

Bill