Subject: Re: README: Calling all beta testers!
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@OG.ORG>
From: Johnny Chi-Lung Lam <jlbg+@andrew.cmu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/03/1997 05:08:38
The "ttyflags" problem still occurs with 1.3_BETA.  It's persisted
through 1.3_ALPHA, too.  The description of the problem is that the
system will hang at the line "ttyflags -a" in a stock /etc/rc.  More
specifically, it hangs when it gets to tty00 in a stock /etc/ttys.  A
backtrace gives:

    _Debugger
    _nmihand
    _lev7intr
    _spec_open
    _vn_open
    _sys_open
    _syscall
    _trap0

and then the debugger hangs as well.  This happens whether or not there
is a device attached to the Mac's serial port.

My hardware is LCIII + 68882, 36MB RAM, external SCSI.  Everything works
fine with GENERIC-47.  The problem only occurs with GENERIC-48 and up.

I would love to help someone debug this problem and make the LCIII a
fully functional system again.

   Johnny C. Lam
   Department of Statistics                 lamj@stat.cmu.edu
   Carnegie Mellon University               http://www.stat.cmu.edu/~lamj/