Subject: Re: Some good news and some bad news
To: wb2oyc <WB2OYC@BELLATLANTIC.NET>
From: David Johnston <david@canopus.apana.org.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/03/1997 16:01:54
[ extract of message from wb2oyc on "Re: Some good news and some bad news" ]
} >Any ideas? Has anyone else out there with a LC475 or a Q605 tried a late
} >alpha
} >kernel or the beta kernal?
} David,
}     I have a Q605 here that I could try if it would help out.  Does it
} have to be the beta kernel?  I'm not even sure if mine has a full 040
} or not, I never looked, if that might be any problem.
}
} Paul
}-- End of excerpt from wb2oyc

It would be good if you could try it. Mine was working correctly with an
early alpha kernal (built late october), but was having problems with
kernals built towards the end of the alpha period - so it would be good
if you could try a late alpha or beta kernal.

I believe all Q605s (and LC475) came with 64LC040's, so if you haven't
changed it then that is what your machine will have. This shouldn't
be a problem, as you should have no problem booting to single user with
it - though it will soon crash if you try to go to multi-user. My panic
always happens just before firing up the single user shell.

If you want to boot using internal video you'll need to download the
latest booter from ftp.macbsd.com and click the special box for LC575s
and LC475s. Otherwise you'll need to boot with a serial console.

    thanks,
	david

--

David Johnston