Subject: Re: Using FWB HDT to create partitions... problem.
To: Tim Bessie <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/02/1997 17:29:00
Tim Bessie <tbessie@eci.net> wrote:

>Has anyone had any problems using FWB Hard Disk Toolkit
>to create partitions for NetBSD?  I've successfully used
>Apple's HD utility (the standard one), but when I use FWB's
>(following the directions for creating an A/UX partition --
>well, the README for FWB HDT says it's for MkLinux), then
>run Mkfs (latest version), the Installer complains that
>it can't find a NetBSD partition.

This sounds a lot like FWB isn't writing the expected flags into the
partition that NetBSD is looking for.  Mkfs doesn't look for them, but
both the Installer and the Kernel do.

>Any suggestions?  I know I can just create a MacOS partition
>(or even one of these non-working A/UX partitions) and tell
>Mkfs to create a NetBSD partition, but I'd like the think the
>FWB software worked as advertised.

You can use Mkfs to change the A/UX partition into a NetBSD partition.
All this will do is change the name field in the Partition Map entry and
write the proper flags into the Partition for the Installer and Kernel.

>Incidentally, when I create an A/UX partition with FWB, then
>choose "CHANGE" within Mkfs, Mkfs identifies the partition
>as "Apple Free", NOT Unix.  D'ya think FWB is not writing some
>soft of identifying integer someplace in the partition map?

This sounds like a screw up on my part. FWB is obviously writing enough
information for Mkfs to detect it's an Apple type partition, but Mkfs
isn't recognizing the additional information to detect it's an A/UX
variety.  This is probably caused by FWB not writing the partition flags
described above.

-bob