Subject: Re: Network
To: Rodney Myrup <g01s61@spot.onysd.wednet.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/02/1997 13:48:26
Rodney Myrup wrote:

> This is a newbie speaking.....
> i need help setting up the IP address, and the ethernet card....would
> someone please get back to me soon.....thanks.....if you need more info
> e-mail me at g01s61@spot.onysd.wednet.edu .

What version of NetBSD are you running?  What kind of ethernet card is it?
Is it recognized at boot time (i.e. as ae0 or sn0)?

If you're running NetBSD 1.3 or so, you need to do a couple of things
(this assumes that you'll be using a static IP address, if you're using a
dynamic one, ignore this):

1) edit /etc/hosts to contain the name and IP address that you want to
give to your machine, there should be examples already in there.

2) create a file named /etc/ifconfig.xxN, where xxN is either ae0 or sn0
(depending on what kind of card you have).  In this file, have a line
like:

inet hostname netmask 255.255.255.0

The above assumes that "hostname" is the name of your host in /etc/hosts,
and that you are on a class C network.  Adjust the netmask if you're
subnetting is not class C.

3) edit /etc/rc.conf so that the line which says rc_configured=NO says YES
instead.  Also, make sure that auto_ifconfig is set to YES.

That should pretty much do it.

If you're using NetBSD 1.2.x, take a look at the wonderful HOWTO on
www.macbsd.com (I think it's in /macbsd/howto).  It has diagrams that
show you how to map MacTCP or TCP/IP control panel settings in the
necessary settings files.

I hope this helps some.  Let us know if you have more questions.

Later.