Subject: Keystone Interface (ADB)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dan McMahill <mcmahill@alum.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/01/1997 22:28:29
I have a Kinesis Keyboard (PC keyboard) which I connect
to my Mac IIci with a PC->ADB converter box made by
Silicon Valley Bus Co.  The converter is a "Keystone
- Macintosh ADB Interface for PC Keyboard and Mouse".

For the most part, it works fine, but there are a few
minor (but annoying) problems.

1)  The page up/down, home, and end keys don't work.
    In fact a little test program which used getchar()
    and then prints the code on the screen shows nothing
    being generated by those keys.

2)  Same for function keys

3)  There is a "keypad" key which when pressed activates the
    numerical keypad (which shares keys with jkluiom,.).
    This key seems inactive.

4)  If I run xdm, I get "phantom" key presses if I type faster
    than about 20-30 words per min.  For example, I might get
    "thte" when typing "the" (I'm sure its not me).

Anyway, here's what I know:

A)  I get the same behaviour under MacOs when booting _without_
    extensions.

B)  If I boot with the Keystone Control control panel, then those
    keys work as desired.

C)  Silicon Valley Bus Co, will provide a library under MacOs to allow
    you to write code to directly access some of the extra I/O lines
    on their box.

D)  I saw something in the manual which makes me think the main feature
    of their driver is to load some registers in the converter box on
    power up.

E)  They have ignored my requests for more info.

Some of what I don't know (and would like suggestions on) is:

a)  Where do I even begin to try and make this work right?

b)  Is there a way to find out what their driver loads on power up
    and make NetBSD do it to?

Thanks for any suggestions..

Dan McMahill