Subject: Re: Booting 1.2.1 on IIvx
To: Rodney Myrup <g01s61@spot.onysd.wednet.edu>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/01/1997 12:12:02
Rodney Myrup wrote:

> 	When I install NetBSD 1.2.1, I go through all of the directions
> word to word. And there are no installation errors.  When I ran MKFS there
> were no errors either.

Sounds good so far...

> But when I boot it will go to the white screen and
> bring up all of the words and numbers (bit map info) then it just freezes.

Hmmmm...it would help us a little if we knew _exactly_ where it freezes.
Does it make it to the copyright section?  Does it stall in the video
mapping section?

> I have the Root&Usr partition (about 100mb), and the swap (about 20mb, and
> {8mb built in}).  I could use all of the help I can get.  Also in the
> booting options the kernel is netbsd, the device is /dev/sd0a (already
> mounted), the scsi id is right, but what about the mini root? Please help.

Leave the mini-root alone for now (it might be used more in the future for
the installation process).  Everything else looks fine.  What version of
the Booter are you using?  You might consider grabbing a copy of the
latest version and seeing if it helps (although it shouldn't make a
difference if you get this far...)

Have you tried booting with all extensions disabled?  Did you boot in B&W
mode?  There is a list of things like these to try in the FAQ.  Please
check it out:

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/mac68k/faq/

or

http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/faq/

I believe there is a question like:  "NetBSD won't boot my machine, what
do I do?"

Hopefully, with a little more info, we'll be able to figure this one
out...

Later.