Subject: Re: Setting time zone; newbie questions
To: Balazs Barany <bb@lb-data.co.at>
From: Benoit MARTEL <magus@cs.mcgill.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/01/1997 13:10:46
On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, Balazs Barany wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a less serious problem than Theo Schulze but it should be simpler to solve, too.

[SNIP!]

> Finally, a bug/feature report: I compiled a large source as root on the MacBSD machine and
>telnetted into it as a normal user from the Win95 computer. I started dt
>which appeared _on the mac_ and cleared the screen. The compilation went
>on, of course, and everything was fine. However, this behaviour *could* be
>quite annoying if the user on the mac doesn't know of it.

[RESNIP]

I thinks that this behavior is indeed a feature. AFAIK dt is a "better
console than the console". The important word here being "console".

The behavior I believe you are looking for is a feature of the program
"screen" which allows to have multiple shells hooked up to one terminal.
So with screen, you can switch from one task to the other the same way
you do in dt but you can do it from any terminal (like the console or
even a telnet window).

On the other hand, screen cannot change any properties of the console
like dt does. dt reverses video on the console and allows cut-and-paste
using the mouse (very cool) for example.

It has been disscussed here some time ago why dt isn't just built-in to
the console (since its features are nice) but remains a separate program.

screen is part of GNU, try
http://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/gnu/screen-3.7.4.tar.gz
if you want to see the difference.

I'm personally much prefer dt. On the console I like dt and from
telnet I prefer to open several telnet windows if needed.

"Because user errors often produce unpredictable results, the user
should try to avoid them."

IBM MVS/XA System Programming Library.