Subject: Re: Setting time zone; newbie questions
To: #hea <hea@ix.netcom.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/30/1997 18:01:59
Of course, you can enable "normal" users to use su.

But the real question was to allow root to log in via telnet.  While this
is generally considered a "bad idea" from a security perspective, the
original request indicated that security wasn't of any concern.

So, all you really need to do is to edit /etc/ttys and mark all of the
network terminal entries (ttyp0, ttyp1, etc.) as "secure" - root isn't
allowed to log in from insecure terminals.

On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, #hea wrote:

> >- Is it possible to enable root to telnet into BSD? The computer is in my
> >room and isn't connected to the Internet so security isn't very important.
> >I have created "normal" users with the adduser.sh script and they aren't
> >able to su root.
>
> To enable a 'normal' user to "su -", add the user to the 'wheel' group by
> editing /etc/group.
>
> Change    wheel:*:0:root   to   wheel:*:0:root,superuser
>
> where superuser is the name of the user which you want to be able to "su
> -"
>
> ...Harlan

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com |