Subject: Setting time zone; newbie questions
To: PortMac <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Balazs Barany <bb@lb-data.co.at>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/30/1997 21:40:26
Hi,

I have a less serious problem than Theo Schulze but it should be simpler =
to solve, too.

I have a Mac IIsi with Sytem D1-7.1 and the same version of the control =
panels. My BSD kernel is a GENERIC 1.2.1. The booter is 1.9.4.
I am unable to set the current timezone as suggested in the FAQ5 =
(Administration).
The time control panel shows the right time and the world map control =
panel shows "Vienna" and the correct time difference (Greenwich + 1 =
hour).
In the Booter, I have a "GMT bias" of +60. (I've tried just "60", too. =
The most interesting thing is that difference is only one hour when I =
set +60 to -60!)

I tried to set the /etc/localtime to zoneinfo/MET, CET, Europe/Vienna =
and Europe/Berlin. Nothing worked, BSD shows two hours more than the =
real time is. GMT bias -60 wasn't correct, too.

The other interesting thing is that the BSD time is about six minutes =
behind the MacOS right after booting.=20

And now the questions:
- Is it possible to enable root to telnet into BSD? The computer is in =
my room and isn't connected to the Internet so security isn't very =
important. I have created "normal" users with the adduser.sh script and =
they aren't able to su root.
- How can I use vi with telnet from a Win95 computer (this telnet has =
ansi/vt100)? I get the error message "ex/vi: Error: ansi: No such file =
or directory"

Finally, a bug/feature report: I compiled a large source as root on the =
MacBSD machine and telnetted into it as a normal user from the Win95 =
computer. I started dt which appeared _on the mac_ and cleared the =
screen. The compilation went on, of course, and everything was fine. =
However, this behaviour *could* be quite annoying if the user on the mac =
doesn't know of it.

BTW, I compiled the following programs and they work fine:
- apache 1.2.4 web server
- imap 4.1BETA imap4/pop3 server
- lynx 2.7.1 web browser
- majordomo 1.94.4 mailing list manager
- perl 5.003 interpreter
- samba 1.9.17p4 SMB daemon for Windows file sharing
- tcsh 6.07.02 shell
- top 3.3
- unzip 5.12 and zip 2.0.1

There are problems with other programs, especially mc (Norton commander =
clone; I have a keyboard without function keys) and I tried to compile =
two BASIC interpreters and a Java interpreter (kaffe) but they stopped =
with compilation errors.

Thank you for your attention and/or help
Bal=E1zs B=E1r=E1ny    bb@lb-data.co.at    http://www.lb-data.co.at/bb

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice