Subject: Re: Help: Injudicious use of "rm -r"
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
From: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <71410.25@compuserve.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/30/1997 13:55:59
On 11/30/97 5:49 PM, Ken Nakata, kenn@remus.rutgers.edu wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Nov 1997 10:44:54 -0500,
>"T. Sean \(Theo\) Schulze" <71410.25@compuserve.com> wrote:
>> I don't thik that I made clear that I can still move around the system
>> some as myself.  That limits what I can do though since I can't su or
>> logout and login as root.  Fortunately, I use bash as my shell, but root
>> uses csh.  bash is in /usr/local/bin so I still have it.  I can't change
>> any of root's login files, because I don't have permission.
>
>Is /usr/local (or /usr) a separate partition from /?  If not, you
>should be able to fix things by booting into single-user mode,
>answering to init's question about shell with "/usr/local/bin/bash",
>and editing /etc/passwd, etc, shouldn't you?

Yes, that might work.  I would still have to do a hard shutdown though
wouldn't I?  I can't go to single user mode from being an un-priveleged
user in multi-user mode can I?

Regards,

Sean.

                 T. Sean (Theo) Schulze
71410.25@compuserve.com           TSSchulze@aol.com
Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but
his judgement; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if
he sacrifices it to your opinion. -- Edmund Burke