Subject: Re: Help: Injudicious use of "rm -r"
To: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <71410.25@compuserve.com>
From: Benoit MARTEL <magus@cs.mcgill.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/30/1997 12:54:17
On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, T. Sean (Theo) Schulze wrote:

> I don't thik that I made clear that I can still move around the system
> some as myself.  That limits what I can do though since I can't su or
> logout and login as root.  Fortunately, I use bash as my shell, but root
> uses csh.  bash is in /usr/local/bin so I still have it.  I can't change
> any of root's login files, because I don't have permission.

Dont give up hope. It's surprising how much you can do to salvage a UN*X
system. It seems you haven't lost so much. Dont power off the machine
until you really are sure you cant fix it.

Take a look at
http://www.CS.McGill.CA/~magus/unixrescue.txt
for a legendary story of "rm -rf" rescue. It may even give you ideas.

Is the machine connected (or can it be) through modem or ethernet? (this
is a case where a floppy support could be useful).
If so, you can probably retrieve enough to start fixing things.

Do you have perl? It usually lives in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin and you
can easilly type a very short perl program to replace /bin/ftp given the
situation. I can give you perl source for that if you want.

Let us know how it goes.

"Because user errors often produce unpredictable results, the user
should try to avoid them."

IBM MVS/XA System Programming Library.