Subject: Help: Injudicious use of "rm -r"
To: Port-mac68k <PORT-MAC68K@NetBSD.ORG>
From: T. Sean \(Theo\) Schulze <71410.25@compuserve.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/30/1997 10:28:07
Oh boy!  I may have stepped in it this time!

I have a IIci running 1.3_alpha on a 540MB Quantum Maverick drive using
GENERICSBC#48.  Mounted in the case in one of my nubus slots is a Purple
Bullet, a deveice that lets me mount a 2.5" drive on a nubus card and use
it like a normal drive.  This 2.5" drive is a 160MB Quantum GO drive that
I used to use as my primary/only NetBSD drive.  It still has NetBSD 1.2C
loaded on it, minus the kernel.

I wanted to clear this drive off, load the 1.3_alpha src on it (among
other things) and then make some symbolic links to directories on this
drive to off-load some of the stuff on the 540MB Maverick.

Apparently I was not careful about what I put on the command line while
using rm and it seems I have removed the /altroot and /bin directories
from my primary 1.3_alpha drive.  Any suggestions on how I can get those
files back, or otherwise undo what I have done?  My plan right now is to:

1) shut off the computer (I can't shutdown because I can't log in as
root.  Root uses the csh shell, which went away with /bin),

2) reboot into the MacOS,

3) cpin GENERICSBC#26 and base1.3_alpha onto the GO160MB drive with the
Installer,

4) boot into the GO160MB and use tar to re-install base1.3_alpha,

5) shutdown and reboot into the 540MB drive as usual, and

6) be more careful with rm in the future, or find a better way to clear
some space on that drive.

Will this plan work?  Can anyone else offer me an alternative? Will I
need to re-install more than base?

TIA,

Sean.

                 T. Sean (Theo) Schulze
71410.25@compuserve.com            TSSchulze@aol.com
Custom reconciles us to everything.  -- Edmund Burke