Subject: Re: Some good news and some bad news
To: David Johnston <david@canopus.apana.org.au>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/30/1997 03:55:09
David Johnston wrote:

> First the good news:
>
>     I downloaded the latest version of the booter from ftp.macbsd.com
> and using the new 'Video address hack (for LC575 & LC475?)' option was
> able to get internal video working on my LC475. Well done Nigel Pearson!

Cool :-)

> The bad news:
>
>     For the last few days kernels compiled from the latest supped sources
> will not boot on my machine. The system always panics just before invoking
> the single user shell.
>
> The boot messages I get are as follows:
[snip]
>     zsc0 at obio0 chip type 0
>     zsc0 channel 0: d_speed   9600 DCD clk 0 CTS clk 0
>     zstty0 at zsc0 channel 0
>     zsc0 channel 1: d_speed   9600 DCD clk 0 CTS clk 0
>     zstty1 at zsc0 channel 1 (console)
[snip]
>     Process (pid 0) got signal 11
>     panic: setrunqueue
>     Stopped at      _Debugger+0x6:  unlk    a6
>     db>
>
> My machine is a LC475 with the full full 68040, an ethernet card and 36MB of
> ram. It usually runs with a serial console (as in the above case).
>
> Any ideas?

Hmmmm...do you have your /etc/ttys set up properly for whatever console
you're booting off of?  I seem to remember the above error message occurs
when you're trying to boot off of serial console and /etc/ttys is set for
onboard console (or maybe I've got that reversed...)

> The kernel I was using previously was compiled form sources supped on the
> 25th of October. It worked fine. It looks like Allens new esp SCSI driver
> has been merged in since then. Could it be a problem with that? The new esp
> driver worked (mostly) fine on my machine - the previous (working) kernel
> was using it.

Well, the other possibility is that you've somehow managed to corrupt
/sbin/init.  I'd try reinstalling it and seeing if that helps.  BTW, do
the older kernels still work?

Later.