Subject: Re: geez!
To: wb2oyc <WB2OYC@BELLATLANTIC.NET>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/29/1997 17:26:54
If you newfs a partition with defaults, it won't ever be accessible from
the Mac-side utilities such as the installer.  The only Mac-side utility
that can handle the default 4.3BSD format is the Booter.

So, if you want to use a partition from the installer, you must either:

1. Use the Mac-side mkfs utility, or
2. Use the -o option on newfs when you initialize the partition from
   within NetBSD to make it produce a 4.2BSD volume.

Maybe someday we'll get the installer updated so that it can understand
the 4.3BSD formats?  (Hint, hint...)

On Sat, 29 Nov 1997, wb2oyc wrote:

> Hi again!
>     I've recently attempted to get a 1.3Alpha system  going here along
> with the older 1.2.1.  I have two external disks, both a little small,
> on my ci.  Just this morning, after talking with Paul about his kernel,
> I ftp'd what I needed, and installed the base, etc, and Slotman on one
> of the disks.
>
>     Its running ok so far.  But, I wanted to get the X and some other
> tarballs setup, so I used the minishell to cpin them to the 2nd disk.
> Here, I thought I was being smart and saving some time, etc.  Bad idea.
>
>     I cannot mount that disk from 1.3; I get this error (twice):
> sd2(ncrscsi0:5:0): error code 0
> then,
> mount_ffs: /dev/sd2a on /mnt: Input/Output error
>
>     Damn!  Ok, let me make sure its filesystem is ok; so I fsck it:
> same two lines as above, then:
> fsck: cannot open /dev/sd2a: Input/Output error
>
>     Good grief!  How can I get to those darn files now?  Ok, I'll
> boot that dude, and then mount the new 1.3; ie, I'll reverse the
> process.....Worse idea!
>
>     I boot that disk, and an attempt to mount the disk with the 1.3
> produces:
> db>
>
> Yah, I did a trace, but I didn't write it down.....I just mashed the
> button and went for another cup of coffee....so much for saving time!
>
> Paul

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com |