Subject: Re: Ethernet hint(s) please
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Nicholas Riley <nriley@shore.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/29/1997 16:36:06
On Fri, 28 Nov 1997 at 19:00:36, Nathan Raymond wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Nov 1997, T. Sean (Theo) Schulze wrote:

>Any

> > >Umm, that is because MacOS does not have a telnet daemon build in. I don't
> > >know if there is a Mac version of telnetd.  There is ftpd if you want to
>                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> There was a shareware telnetd that someone once wrote that supposedly
> would let you telnet in and execute AppleEvents.  I never got it to work.

Script Daemon by Peter Lewis maybe? I got it to work, but it didn't do much
useful that I could see.

There's a telnet server for UserLand Frontier
<http://www.scripting.com/frontier/> that utilizes NetEvents, which will
allow you to execute Frontier scripts remotely, after logging in etc. One
of the commands provided with the server is "hfs" (not to be confused with
the NetBSD program of the same name); you can copy and move files, navigate
directories, etc. with it. Since it's all script-implemented, it's simple
to extend.

> > As for BeOS, I have a CDROM here with a free distribution release on it.
> > It was interesting, but it can't read my PowerPC hard drive either.
>
> If it is BeOS DR9 PR1 it CAN, you have to explicitly enable the option in
> the drive window to mount ALL volumes including HFS.  By default, it will
> only mount the startup BeOS volume.

And now it supports read/write HFS it's considerably more useful. It's
interesting comparing folder opening times (even with custom icons) on BeOS
and OS 8 Finder - BeOS is about twice as fast in most cases. I usually
leave my umax booted into BeOS with the FTP server running for accessing
files remotely. Faster than NetPrezenz, and it's free.

--
Nicholas Riley (NR850)  <mailto:nriley@cs.brandeis.edu>
<nriley@shore.net> <nriley@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu>