Subject: Re: Ethernet hint(s) please
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@romulus.rutgers.edu>
From: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <71410.25@compuserve.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/29/1997 13:16:40

>> BetterTelnt/NiftyTelnet et. al are telnet clients, not servers.
>
>You're absolutely right.  However, NCSA Telnet (which is the base of
>Better Telnet) does act as ftp daemon.  I'm not sure at all whether or
>not the Better still has the capability (it sure looks like it's lost
>the ftp client capability).

BetterTelnet still has the ftp daemon.  That is what I am using now.  I
managed to ftp sys.tar.gz from my PowerPC into my NetBSD IIci.  It
transferred as ASCII though. I ftp'd it from the NetBSD side, and I think
I forgot to set the ftp binary option before I transferred it.  Haven't
had a chance to try it again though.

One thing I have noticed though, BetterTelnet doesn't seem to make it any
easier to ftp from a drive that has a space in its name.  My primary
PowerPC drive is still named "Macintosh HD".  When I entered that into
the path (e.g., /Macintosh HD/...), the white space caused ftp to
mis-read the drive name and I got an error.  I moved the file to a drive
with no spaces, and it worked (with the exception of the binary problem I
mentioned above).

I have also breifly dabbled with MacOS 8's Web Sharing, but not enough to
say if it works well or not.  One thing I can say though, if you change
your TCP/IP settings, disable Web Sharing first.  Even with the control
panel and the extension removed from their respective folders, I
continued to get repeatable freezes on restart caused by the extension.
(It kept kicking me into MacsDebug.)

Cheers,

Sean.

                 T. Sean (Theo) Schulze
71410.25@compuserve.com            TSSchulze@aol.com
"Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare current"
("They change their sky but not their soul who cross
  the ocean.")  --  Horace