Subject: Re: Problem with GENERICSBC-50
To: Christian Taylor <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: #hea <hea@ix.netcom.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/29/1997 08:42:44
On 11/29/97, Cristian Taylor wrote:
>  [snip}
>Then it dumped me into the debugger with a bus error.  I switched back to
>my GENERICSBC-45 kernel, and everything worked fine again.  Is there any
>problems with #50 that I should know about?  My system is as follows...
>  [snip]

This reminded me of my own excursion into the debugger.  I was attempting
to copy some files from one NetBSD volume to another NetBSD volume via
the SCSI bus.  ( One of the ethernet cards is not yet recognized ).

Anyway, I shut down both system and moved one system's hard drive to the
other system ( making sure the SCSI ID's were different ).  I then booted
the system with two drives.  It came up fine.  However, when I attempted
to mount the other volume, I ended up in the debugger.  What I forgot to
do, was change the /etc/fstab to add a different name for the mount point
of the other drive.

I guess when NetBSD tried to mount a new '/' partition on top of the
existing '/' partition it crashed.

This probably comes under the category "Don't do that." and it may not
have ANYTHING to do with the other debugger problem, but I thought it
might help someone.

...Harlan