Subject: Problem with GENERICSBC-50
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christian Taylor <ctaylor@fox.nstn.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/29/1997 11:45:51
Hi everyone,

Last night I was already to upgrade my system (-current as of 100497) to
1.3_ALPHA.  I downloaded all the pieces, and started following the UPGRADE
instructions.  I installed the new kernel (GENERICSBC-50... I've had much
better luck with the sbc kernels than the nrc ones), but when I rebooted
into single user mode, it panicked.  It got this far:

nubus0 at mainbus0
macvid0 at nubus0 slot 9: Mac II High-Resolution Video Card
macvid0: 640 x 480, monochrome
grf0 at macvid0
ite0 at grf0 (minimal console)
ae0 at nubus0 slot a: address 00:00:94:21:92:ec, type MacCon Ethernet 32KB
memor
fpu0 at mainbus0 (mc68882)
boot device: sd0
root on sd0a dumps on sd0b

Then it dumped me into the debugger with a bus error.  I switched back to
my GENERICSBC-45 kernel, and everything worked fine again.  Is there any
problems with #50 that I should know about?  My system is as follows...

Mac IIcx
8 MB RAM
100 MB hard drive (contains about an 80 meg root partition, 20 meg swap)
340 MB hard drive (completely /usr)
video card as shown above (it's a 4-bit card in 1-bit mode)
ethernet card as shown above
ADB Mouse II
Original non-extended keyboard

If I'm missing anything in my description, please let me know.

I'd really like to upgrade to 1.3_ALPHA, and if anyone can help, I'd really
appreciate it.  Is there a way I can save the output from the debugger, if
that would help?

Thanks,

 -Christian

| Christian Taylor.................http://dragon.acadiau.ca/~chtaylor/ |
| HelpDesk Consultant                work: christian.taylor@acadiau.ca |
| User Support Centre                home: ctaylor@fox.nstn.ca         |
| Acadia University                 Phone: (902) 542-4357              |
| Wolfville, NS  B0P 1X0                                               |