Subject: Re: MacOS Shell (was: Ethernet hint(s) please)
To: Armen Babikyan <synapse@lethargy.mit.edu>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/29/1997 09:08:06
Hi,

On Fri, 28 Nov 1997, Armen Babikyan wrote:

> Telnetting to a mac?! what do you expect to do from a telnet into the mac?
> you're certainly not going to get a "login:" prompt, and there is no
> terminal-based shell for MacOS (writing one would useless).  only 1
> graphical shell is avaiable for macs, which is better known as the finder.
> ok, at ease too if you want to count that. niether of which you can get a
> "screen" for.

I believe there are a few shells out there for MacOS. A couple of years
ago, I played around a bit with MacMiNT on my SE when it was still
operational. Then, there was a utility called nshell which provided
limited shell access to the Mac file system. Of course, neither of these
allowed telnet access to the Mac.

> Rhapsody (the "MacNT" of the future) will and BeOS does support protected
> memory and some level of multitasking (i think), so i do see some light of
> being able to compile shells on those machines, but they probably would be
> crippled compared to what a real un*x could do. (probably could do
> everything eventually, but that would take a long time to rewrite)

I have heard that Rhapsody is supposed to include a "hidden" shell for
power users. I do know that BeOS ships with bash built-in.

  http://www.be.com/products/beos_tour/index.html

A lot of "unix" stuff is known to compile under BeOS with little or no
modification. There is even a project on to create an X server for BeOS. I
think it might be cool to have one box that can run Mac apps, UN*X/X apps,
and BeOS native apps. Now if I could just afford a box with enough power
to run it ...

Mark Andres                  E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
Me: /www2.giganet.net/~mark/ NetBSD: /bullwinkle.aisol.net/