Subject: Re: Ethernet hint(s) please
To: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <71410.25@compuserve.com>
From: Nathan Raymond <nate@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/28/1997 19:00:36
On Fri, 28 Nov 1997, T. Sean (Theo) Schulze wrote:

> On 11/28/97 3:22 AM, Mark Andres wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, T. Sean (Theo) Schulze wrote:
> >
> >> Well that got it.  I can now telnet in from my PowerPC using
> >> BetterTelnet.  I am going to try out MIX next and see how that goes.  Any
> >> idea what I need to do to telnet *into* the PowerPC?  I have tried a
> >> couple of times, but I get a message:
> >>
> >> Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
> >
> >Umm, that is because MacOS does not have a telnet daemon build in. I don't
> >know if there is a Mac version of telnetd.  There is ftpd if you want to
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There was a shareware telnetd that someone once wrote that supposedly
would let you telnet in and execute AppleEvents.  I never got it to work.

> >be able to telnet from your NetBSD box *to* your PowerPC. If you want to
> >be able to telnet *to* your PowerPC, why not install BeOS ;->
>
> Hmm...someone else offered me a similar suggestion last night.  Later I
> went to the ZDNet web site and picked up Peter Lewis' ftpd.  I'll see how
> that works.  Primarily what I want to do is be able to move files back
> and forth between the Mac PowerPC and my NetBSD IIci.  The PowerPC has
> the faster modem (and at the moment I'm more familiar with its software
> ;-), so it is the better platform for ftp'ing things like netbsd source,
> etc.  Also, I have BetterTelnet here, and it is what I am using Mac-side
> to telnet into the NetBSD box.  I will check out its options and see if
> it also allows telnet into the Mac.

BetterTelnt/NiftyTelnet et. al are telnet clients, not servers.
Not only would the Mac need a telnet server, it would need a CLI
(Comand-Line Interface) to serve across the telnet connection as well.
The MacOS has no built-in CLI currently.

> As for BeOS, I have a CDROM here with a free distribution release on it.
> It was interesting, but it can't read my PowerPC hard drive either.

If it is BeOS DR9 PR1 it CAN, you have to explicitly enable the option in
the drive window to mount ALL volumes including HFS.  By default, it will
only mount the startup BeOS volume.

You can download DR9 PR2 for free, as well.

> Sometime in the future after Apple finally succumbs to its
> (self-inflicted) wounds, I might switch, but not now.

Just boot BeOS, mount your HFS volumes, and you're all set.

> I also have
> MkLinux here, but neither of these OS's are going to go over well in this
> house until you can play Chessmates or Shanghai on them. :-)

Don't forget Rhapsody + Blue Box :)

--
Nathan Raymond
http://www.everythingmac.com