Subject: Re: Ethernet hint(s) please
To: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <71410.25@compuserve.com>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/28/1997 11:22:52
Hi,

On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, T. Sean (Theo) Schulze wrote:

> Well that got it.  I can now telnet in from my PowerPC using
> BetterTelnet.  I am going to try out MIX next and see how that goes.  Any
> idea what I need to do to telnet *into* the PowerPC?  I have tried a
> couple of times, but I get a message:
>
> Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

Umm, that is because MacOS does not have a telnet daemon build in. I don't
know if there is a Mac version of telnetd.  There is ftpd if you want to
be able to telnet from your NetBSD box *to* your PowerPC. If you want to
be able to telnet *to* your PowerPC, why not install BeOS ;->

> Maybe I'll fool around with this WebShare stuff that came with MacOS8.
>
> Oh yeah, I have routed=YES set in my rc.conf and when I boot I get the
> repeated message:
>
> Nov 27 14:11:03 hussar routed[170]: sendto(ae0, 224.0.0.2): No route to
> host.
>
> What is routed looking for here?  Do I need to have routed on?  Are there
> any other daemons that I should have running or shouldn't have running?
> (I know about needing to choose between routed and gated.)

I think routed is looking for a router on the other end. If I understand
this correctly, you have a local network that is NOT connected to the
Internet or any other network.  In this case, you do not want to have
routed running.  Actually, IMHO, you never want routed running at all.

<insert usual rant about routed and RIP; just use gated>

Unless your NetBSD is acting as a router, there is no need for any routing
daemons to be running.  If you are on a stand-alone net, things should
just work.

Also, if you are not connected to the outside world, I would not be using
named. If you set things up properly in your /etc/hosts file, then there
is no need for named to be running or to even have an /etc/resolv.conf.
You would use the /etc/resolv.conf if you use the NetBSD box to connect to
the Internet via PPP though.

Mark Andres                  E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
Me: /www2.giganet.net/~mark/ NetBSD: /bullwinkle.aisol.net/