Subject: Re: Ethernet hint(s) please
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <71410.25@compuserve.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/27/1997 09:14:48
>> /etc/hostname.ae0
>>
>> inet hussar.nuthole.de 255.255.255.0
>>
>> #Note:Henry Hotz's and Rob Windsor's guidance on netmask is different.
>> Rob says you have to use the netmask in hex.  Henry's diagram shows it as
>> 255.255.255.0.
>>
>> Do I need to configure a /etc/ifconfig.ae0 if I have a /etc/hostname.ae0?
>
>Now this is your problem... NetBSD 1.3alpha don't use hostname.* files
>anymore; you must create an /etc/ifconfig.whatever file. In your case,
>/etc/ifconfig.ae0.
>
>Put the following line in it:
>inet hussar.nuthole.de netmask 0xffffff00
>
>(And you can use a dotted decimal netmask too... either works)

Well that got it.  I can now telnet in from my PowerPC using
BetterTelnet.  I am going to try out MIX next and see how that goes.  Any
idea what I need to do to telnet *into* the PowerPC?  I have tried a
couple of times, but I get a message:

Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

Maybe I'll fool around with this WebShare stuff that came with MacOS8.

Oh yeah, I have routed=YES set in my rc.conf and when I boot I get the
repeated message:

Nov 27 14:11:03 hussar routed[170]: sendto(ae0, 224.0.0.2): No route to
host.

What is routed looking for here?  Do I need to have routed on?  Are there
any other daemons that I should have running or shouldn't have running?
(I know about needing to choose between routed and gated.)

Thanks,

Sean.

            T. Sean (Theo) Schulze
TSSchulze@aol.com          71410.25 @compuserve.com
Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn.