Subject: Re: Ethernet hint(s) please
To: Port-mac68k <PORT-MAC68K@NetBSD.ORG>
From: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <71410.25@compuserve.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/27/1997 07:42:47
Doh!  I forgot to give you the PowerPC-side settings.  They are attached
below.

>I am trying to network my PPC 8500/120 with internal ethernet with my
>IIci running 1.3_alpha and kernel GENERICSBC #48.  The IIci has a MacCon
>Ethernet card installed at nubus slot c.  At boot the system recognizes
>it at ae0 and gives it the address 00:00:94:07:e7:d8.  I have read the
>How To from Henry Hotz at http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/howto/, the short
>bit on networking in Rob Windsor's "It's Installed! What next?" at
>http://www.warped.com/~windsor/netbsd/what-next.html and the FAQ.  I set
>my machines up according to these references, but when I try to telnet
>into the IIci from the PPC all I get are a blinking collision light on
>the hub before the connection attempt times out.  If I try to telnet from
>the IIci to the PPC using the command 'telnet 192.168.0.1', I get:
>
>telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: No route to host
>
>This leads me to believe that I might have a routing problem.  None of
>the FAQs, etc. cover how to select a router address for the setup, so I
>chose the IP address of the IIci, 192.168.0.1.  Is this the problem?
>
>Here are my settings netbsd-side on the IIci:
>
>/etc/myname
>
>hussar
>
>/etc/defaultdomain
>
>nuthole.de
>
>/etc/hosts
>
>127.0.0.1          localhost          localhost.nuthole.de
>
>192.168.0.1        hussar             hussar.nuthole.de
>192.168.0.2        graves             graves.nuthole.de
>
>#Note: The /etc/hosts file included with 1.3_alpha lists internal IP
>addresses from RFC 1918.  What isn't clear to me is that they are in two
>columns.  Is the first column the IP addresses and the second column
>netmasks?  If yes, do I need to use the netmask shown after the IP
>address?  Does the IP address assignment I've made here follow the
>guidance from the hosts file?
>
>/etc/resolv.conf
>
>lookup file bind
>nameserver 192.168.0.1 compuserve.com
>domain nuthole.de
>search nuthole.de
>
>#Note: I put in compuserve.com because Rob Windsor's page lists the IP
>address for his provider.  I don't have compuserve's IP address, so I
>used the name instead.  That's probably wrong, but could it be the source
>of my problem?  Also, going through O'Reilly's _TCP/IP Network
>Administration I see that the resolv.conf there has as its first entry
>"nameserver 127.0.0.1".
>
>/etc/hostname.ae0
>
>inet hussar.nuthole.de 255.255.255.0
>
>#Note:Henry Hotz's and Rob Windsor's guidance on netmask is different.
>Rob says you have to use the netmask in hex.  Henry's diagram shows it as
>255.255.255.0.
>
>Do I need to configure a /etc/ifconfig.ae0 if I have a /etc/hostname.ae0?

On the PowerPC side my TCP/IP settings are:

Connetc via: Ethernet

Configure: Manually
IP Address: 192.168.0.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Router address: 192.168.0.1  #What should this be for a network of just
two computers?
                             #Should it be 127.0.0.1?

Name server addr.: 192.168.0.1
                   149.174.211.5  #These last two belong to CompuServe
                   149.174.213.5

Additional Search domains: nuthole.de
                           compuserve.com

>TIA,
>
>Sean.

                 T. Sean (Theo) Schulze
71410.25@compuserve.com             TSSchulze@aol.com
There is, however, a limit at which forbearance ceases
to be a virtue. -- Edmund Burke