Subject: Ethernet hint(s) please
To: Port-mac68k <PORT-MAC68K@NetBSD.ORG>
From: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <71410.25@compuserve.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/27/1997 06:19:51
I am trying to network my PPC 8500/120 with internal ethernet with my
IIci running 1.3_alpha and kernel GENERICSBC #48.  The IIci has a MacCon
Ethernet card installed at nubus slot c.  At boot the system recognizes
it at ae0 and gives it the address 00:00:94:07:e7:d8.  I have read the
How To from Henry Hotz at http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/howto/, the short
bit on networking in Rob Windsor's "It's Installed! What next?" at
http://www.warped.com/~windsor/netbsd/what-next.html and the FAQ.  I set
my machines up according to these references, but when I try to telnet
into the IIci from the PPC all I get are a blinking collision light on
the hub before the connection attempt times out.  If I try to telnet from
the IIci to the PPC using the command 'telnet 192.168.0.1', I get:

telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: No route to host

This leads me to believe that I might have a routing problem.  None of
the FAQs, etc. cover how to select a router address for the setup, so I
chose the IP address of the IIci, 192.168.0.1.  Is this the problem?

Here are my settings netbsd-side on the IIci:

/etc/myname

hussar

/etc/defaultdomain

nuthole.de

/etc/hosts

127.0.0.1          localhost          localhost.nuthole.de

192.168.0.1        hussar             hussar.nuthole.de
192.168.0.2        graves             graves.nuthole.de

#Note: The /etc/hosts file included with 1.3_alpha lists internal IP
addresses from RFC 1918.  What isn't clear to me is that they are in two
columns.  Is the first column the IP addresses and the second column
netmasks?  If yes, do I need to use the netmask shown after the IP
address?  Does the IP address assignment I've made here follow the
guidance from the hosts file?

/etc/resolv.conf

lookup file bind
nameserver 192.168.0.1 compuserve.com
domain nuthole.de
search nuthole.de

#Note: I put in compuserve.com because Rob Windsor's page lists the IP
address for his provider.  I don't have compuserve's IP address, so I
used the name instead.  That's probably wrong, but could it be the source
of my problem?  Also, going through O'Reilly's _TCP/IP Network
Administration I see that the resolv.conf there has as its first entry
"nameserver 127.0.0.1".

/etc/hostname.ae0

inet hussar.nuthole.de 255.255.255.0

#Note:Henry Hotz's and Rob Windsor's guidance on netmask is different.
Rob says you have to use the netmask in hex.  Henry's diagram shows it as
255.255.255.0.

Do I need to configure a /etc/ifconfig.ae0 if I have a /etc/hostname.ae0?

TIA,

Sean.

                 T. Sean (Theo) Schulze
71410.25@compuserve.com            TSSchulze@aol.com
"Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare current"
("They change their sky but not their soul who cross
  the ocean.")  --  Horace