Subject: Re: whats wrong here? anyone?
To: wb2oyc <WB2OYC@BELLATLANTIC.NET>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/27/1997 04:43:00
On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, wb2oyc wrote:
> Yes, that IS the incongruous part of it!  Maybe Dave can explain a little
> about what that is, but as you may have already seen, his suggestion WAS
> the fix!  The thing thats upsetting about that is why it would cause the
> Linux processes to kill the pppd.  And, I spent a little time looking for

Hmmm... I have no idea why that happens, I just remembered reading that
people were having trouble getting RFC1323 packets through a Linux
gateway. It does seem strange though, the problem I had heard of was that
transfers would be really really slow; nobody mentioned pppd actually
quitting. I guess the only thing I can think of is that pppd is actually
looking inside packets for some reason, and the RFC1323 options did
something to make it dump core (overflow a buffer or something?). However,
I'm almost positive that pppd doesn't do anything like that, and you
didn't mention having a pppd core file either. So, I'm clueless :)

> No, it IS now shown that it was precisely what I said this morning, and
> that is, that NetBSD is/was doing something different than all the rest,
> and it was very likely that Dave's answer just might be the key!  And it
> was!  All of them, not just Linux, have the BUG, to use Dave's term.

Well, the bug is that pppd died when it got a RFC1323 packet, not that
Linux didn't send RFC1323 packets on its own :) So I don't consider it a
bug if a machine doesn't send RFC1323 packets. I do consider it a bug if a
machine crashes or otherwise misbehaves if it _receives_ one.

> And I don't think anyone ever said that.  What I did say was that it was
> far more likely that NetBSD was doing something none of the others was
> doing,
> since it spawned the problem when none of the others did.  As it turns out
> that was exactly the case.  And its a good thing for me that Dave pumped
> me
> to try that sysctl, since I seemed to have missed it the first time.

And I agreed 100% that it was something that NetBSD did that none of your
other machines did (which is what made me think of that sysctl). What I
objected to was that you seemed to be saying that NetBSD was doing
something wrong, and that the problem couldn't be with your Linux machine
:)

Dahan: Hani G Y+C 22 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++