Subject: Re: whats wrong here? anyone?
To: wb2oyc <WB2OYC@BELLATLANTIC.NET>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/27/1997 04:12:30
On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, wb2oyc wrote:
> >Did you even _try_ "sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=0" like I suggested?
>
> Just did, and that does stop the problem!  I was not able to access my

Ah, well that's cool then ;)

> What is it that it does, and the others don't?  Whatever it is, turning
> it off fixes this fault completely.  Plus, in testing it, I discovered
> that bind isn't working either on the Linux box.....but, the DNS request
> gets passed thru to my DNS at work since their both in my resolv.conf,
> just like it should.

Take a look at "TCP Extensions for High Performance" at
http://www.internic.net/rfc/rfc1323.txt for the details, but basically, it
makes TCP go faster on fast and/or high latency networks. (The examples
I've heard are ATM and satellite links).

> >heard of problems with Linux not getting along with RFC1323. (That would
> >be known as a bug in Linux, BTW... you see, Linux _does_ have bugs, just
> >like NetBSD does.)
>
> Well, its not only Linux thats not doing it tho' as this also shows!
> They all have it!

I'm not sure what you mean by that... it's a feature that NetBSD does
RFC1323, not a bug. It's not a feature, but not a bug either that neither
Windows nor MacOS do RFC1323 (FWIW, Windows NT 5.0 now supports RFC1323,
and has it turned on by default... there's a registry entry to turn it
off though. So, you'd see the same problem if you tried to connect out
from an NT 5 box). It's not a bug or a feature that older Linuxes don't do
RFC1323. It _is_ a bug that older Linuxes do bad things when they try to
forward RFC1323 packets. I looked around a bit, and it seems that new
Linux kernels will do RFC1323 too, BTW. (And I assume that means they can
forward RFC1323 packets too :)

> Will that same statement work with the other kernels such as SLOTMAN?
> I haven't tried it yet, but since that one allows me to use X I will.

Yeah, it should work fine... you can put it into your /etc/rc.local if
you'd like, so each time you boot NetBSD, it'll turn off RFC1323... (and
if you get a chance, you should probably upgrade your Linux too :)

> Thanks Dave!

No problem, glad you got it working!