Subject: Re: whats wrong here? anyone?
To: wb2oyc <WB2OYC@BELLATLANTIC.NET>
From: Armen Babikyan <synapse@lethargy.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/26/1997 23:16:08
On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, wb2oyc wrote:
> >Also, you mentioned you attempted to telnet from your netbsd box to the
> >outside world, and that "killed" the connection.  did you try any other
> >tcp protocols like ftp from the netbsd box, or mosaic from the netbsd box?
>
> No I didn't.  I was using the generic kernel, so X wasn't there.  And,
> the masquerading code won't handle ftp's properly (well, it will, but not
> this version I have running here; its too old).  Yeah I know, I really
> need to fix that.

try it.  ftp to a site and see if that kills the connection (don't bother
downloading anything, it probably wouldn't work).  that work at all?
try traceroute-ing a machine ouside your network from the netbsd box.

> >like ken said, this problem is a lot bigger than you think it is. windows
>
> No, it IS now shown that it was precisely what I said this morning, and
> that is, that NetBSD is/was doing something different than all the rest,
> and it was very likely that Dave's answer just might be the key!  And it
> was!  All of them, not just Linux, have the BUG, to use Dave's term.

I, personally, have no problem with Dave's use the term "BUG". lots of
software have bugs. a lot probably haven't been discovered yet. just cause
linux+windows+freebsd+etc acts differently than netbsd doesn't mean it's
safe to say netbsd's wrong. but sometimes you gotta live with it.