Subject: Problem with NetBSD 1.3
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Pooka <pooka@cygnus.ucdavis.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/26/1997 20:12:53
I've been trying to install NetBSD mac68k v1.3 but I've run into some
problems. Using the Installer v1.1g, when it first starts up it spits out
the messages

sd0a Root 'NetBSD Root & Usr' at 3299818 size 696332
sd0c Swap 'NetBSD Swap' at 3996150 size 128586
Error on SCSIRead(), # 5
failed mountfs(), error 22
Error mounting root.
mount root. : Undefined error: 0

and then the Installer makes me quit. The root partition has been Mkfs'ed
according to the instructions. What's peculiar though, is if I use
Installer v1.1 I get no such error and can install the distribution sets
normally. I have tried setting the Installer 1.1g's memory availability to
8M, but it doesn't help.

Now, if I use the Installer v1.1 to install the NetBSD v1.3 base, etc, and
kernel sets (which goes very smoothly and without incident), when I boot
into NetBSD I get the messages

boot device: sd0
root on sd0a dumps on sd0b
root file system type: ffs
warning: no /dev/console   (even though I've made all devices)
init: not found
panic: no init

and then it dumps me into db. Using the Installer's Mini-Shell, I've
verified that /sbin/init is actually there and its owner has permission to
execute.

Here's a description of my system:

Quadra 650
24 meg ram
Quantum fireball 2gb drive on ID0
Using built-in video (max vram)
Using built-in ethernet
Standard mouse + extended keyboard
No other NuBus cards installed or anything else for that matter
The hard drive is partitioned as follows (roughly):
	0-1500meg	HFS
	1500-2000meg	NetBSD Root & Usr
	2000-2060meg	NetBSD Swap
Pretty much stock everything...

Any help you could offer on solving these weird problems would be greatly
appreciated. If you need more info, please email me. Thank you for your
time.

Brandon LaCava
pooka@cygnus.ucdavis.edu