Subject: Re: whats wrong here? anyone?
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: wb2oyc <WB2OYC@BELLATLANTIC.NET>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/26/1997 22:41:28
Dave,

>Did you even _try_ "sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=0" like I suggested?

Just did, and that does stop the problem!  I was not able to access my
provider for several hours (their authentication server keeps failing
for hours at a time; its been doin' it for over two months now).  A real
pain.  Then I wasn't home to try it until just a little while ago.

>The RFC1323 extensions are one thing NetBSD does that (as far as I know)
>the other TCP/IP stacks you're using don't do. And as I already said, I've

What is it that it does, and the others don't?  Whatever it is, turning
it off fixes this fault completely.  Plus, in testing it, I discovered
that bind isn't working either on the Linux box.....but, the DNS request
gets passed thru to my DNS at work since their both in my resolv.conf,
just like it should.

>heard of problems with Linux not getting along with RFC1323. (That would
>be known as a bug in Linux, BTW... you see, Linux _does_ have bugs, just
>like NetBSD does.)

Well, its not only Linux thats not doing it tho' as this also shows!
They all have it!

Will that same statement work with the other kernels such as SLOTMAN?
I haven't tried it yet, but since that one allows me to use X I will.

Thanks Dave!
Paul