Subject: Re: netatalk questions
To: Armen Babikyan <synapse@lethargy.mit.edu>
From: Nico van Eikema Hommes <hommes@ccc.uni-erlangen.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/26/1997 22:07:06
   Hi Armen,

>netatalk is appletalk for unix as far as i can see.
>is netatalk as complete as appletalk? can appleshare servers be mounted
>on unix boxes?

I'm not aware of such an extension for Netatalk, but there is an extension
for the Columbia AppleTalk Package (aka CAP) called "afpmount", which lets
you mount an AppleShare volume as if it were an NFS volume. According to
the README file, it is available from ftp.funet.fi.
I have no experience with it (we don't need this functionality), btw.

>can the unix box's hard drive be mounted by macs via
>appleshare? what about printers on appletalk? can netatalk be tunneled
>over ip? (this would be cool, btw :)

There are patches for AppleShare-IP, but AFAIK not for tunneling. CAP with
UAR (Unix Appletalk Router) can do tunneling.

>The only thing i can remember about netatalk is that it does not work over
>serial ports yet.
>is there a netbsd-specific netatalk page on the net somewhere? all i can
>seem to find are linux ones.

I recently read (here?) that it compiles out of the box, but have not tried
it yet: it is of limited use for a standalone machine :-)

Best wishes,

           Nico

--
  Dr. N.J.R. van Eikema Hommes     Computer-Chemie-Centrum
  hommes@ccc.uni-erlangen.de       Universitaet Erlangen-Nuernberg