Subject: Re: whats wrong here? anyone?
To: wb2oyc <WB2OYC@BELLATLANTIC.NET>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/25/1997 22:14:06
On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, wb2oyc wrote:
> Only NetBSD does it right, huh?  Good grief!  No other system I have
> available spawns this problem, so its Linux's fault!  Only NetBSD on
> a Mac causes this to happen, but its the other guy's fault.....
>
> Right!

Right. Exactly.

I'd like to help, but you don't seem to be too interested in listening...
oh well.

How can it be _only_ NetBSD's fault? It's not the one controlling the PPP
connection. There's no magic packet that NetBSD can send over the ethernet
to tell Linux to hang up. I'm not saying there's no way that NetBSD is
doing something wrong, but I _am_ saying that there's no way that NetBSD
is the only problem. Either Linux, your modem, the modem at work, or the
terminal server/whatever at work has a bug too. (Although I would say that
in my opinion, it's extremely unlikely that NetBSD is the buggy one).

Did you even _try_ "sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=0" like I suggested?
The RFC1323 extensions are one thing NetBSD does that (as far as I know)
the other TCP/IP stacks you're using don't do. And as I already said, I've
heard of problems with Linux not getting along with RFC1323. (That would
be known as a bug in Linux, BTW... you see, Linux _does_ have bugs, just
like NetBSD does.)