Subject: Re: Video/Memory Mapping for Powerbooks, et. al.
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
From: Tim Bessie <tbessie@eci.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/25/1997 11:43:27
At 11:36 PM 11/24/97 -0500, Allen Briggs wrote:
>> Plus, there is the little fact that this stuff is typically confidential.
>> :-)
>
>This is the main problem.
>
>> Some general overview of what is happeneing would be a good thing to
>> get (some general "what is going on" description). Other than that, I think
>> we'd need hardware documentation, which might not exist.
>
>This is the secondary problem.  There was documentation on most of the
>hardware.  It was (as may not surprise you if you've been around
>engineers) heavily augmented by hallway chats.  The documentation has
>probably either been recycled, lost, or is sitting on someone's desk or
>shelf somewhere.
>
>Once docs are located (probably only in hardware or system software
>developers' offices), we get back to the main problem.
>
>I've located (almost) IOP docs (and even sample code), and I'm working
>on getting permission to get them.  It's not, shall we say, a _quick_
>process, but there is progress.

Does the MMU program (from the Linux people) that displays
the MMU mapping configuration tell us enough to set things up
correctly in NetBSD, given that everything else seems to work?
(i.e. we get to the 'preserving X bytes..." before it hangs, and
NetBSD has already taken control of the internal video)?

- Tim Bessie
tbessie@eci.net

Tim Bessie
tbessie@eci.net