Subject: Re: Mail problems
To: None <e.stokhof@eurogentec.be>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/25/1997 23:47:41
Hi,

And Josh is the lucky winner.  Qpopper is a POP server and therefore will
not help you *receive* e-mail via POP much.  You could do it the MX
record/sendmail route, but it does not work well for dial-ups.  Fetchmail
is great as a POP client.  I use it on my laptop running FreeBSD.

The URL is:

   http://locke.ccil.org/~esr/fetchmail/

Mark

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Josh Hope wrote:

> I wasn't quite sure if you were asking about that, or about getting mail
> from a POP server...
>
> I have a program, called fetchmail, which does a great job getting POP
> mail, and forwarding it to your user mailbox. Then, you could use pine or
> elm (or even Mail) to read it, reply, and such. Only downside is, if you
> reply, it's usually best to set pine's domain name to your ISP's, and to
> make it on a user account with the same username as the one you have on
> your ISP (this way, people don't get mail from root@isp.com, and it
> doesn't look like you're trying to spoof root).
>
> I believe fetchmail is at some gnu site, which is probably where I got it
> from. I unfortunately do not have an exact URL...

Mark Andres                  E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
          Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
Me: /www2.giganet.net/~mark/ NetBSD: /bullwinkle.aisol.net/