Subject: Re: Mail problems
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
From: Josh Hope <otaku@unixgeek.ml.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/25/1997 06:07:41
On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Brad Salai wrote:

> > Hi all,
> >
> > After all the successes I read about from other pople, it is rather
> > depressing not to be able to do it myself.
> > basic problem: I am trying to receive mail from my home machine.
> > PPP works, I can telnet, ftp, http out, I can mail out, although the
> > domain appraes invalid, I can do host lookups, but whenever I send a
> > mail through the ISP to a user on my machine, nothing happens.
> > This is what I did:
> > - copied the ppp.setup.tar.gz file from (what was it... netbsd.org?)
> > - setup ppp and resolv.conf
> > - changed the sendmail line in /etc/netstart to
> > sendmail_options="-bd     -q5m" to have mail updated every five minutes
> > Now the question is pretty basic: under MacOS, I configure Eudora with
> > the POP host to retrieve mail from. Where and how do I do this under
> > NetBSD? I hate to admit it, but I really can't figure this one out.
> > Thanks in advance
> > -Erik
> >
> Did you edit /etc/sendmail.cf ? That will probably fix the domain name problem.
>
> You only _need_ to change a few things, and they are pretty well labeled, and are also near the top of the file.

Also, if you wish to receive mail on the machine (so your address would be
root@whatever.your.isp.com), you must contact your ISP and ask them
politely for an MX record. Only do this, though, if you plan on having the
machine up 24 hours a day, since it can cause errors for people sending
you mail if it's down (although if your machine is back up within a few
days or hours, the mail is received usually...)

I wasn't quite sure if you were asking about that, or about getting mail
from a POP server...

I have a program, called fetchmail, which does a great job getting POP
mail, and forwarding it to your user mailbox. Then, you could use pine or
elm (or even Mail) to read it, reply, and such. Only downside is, if you
reply, it's usually best to set pine's domain name to your ISP's, and to
make it on a user account with the same username as the one you have on
your ISP (this way, people don't get mail from root@isp.com, and it
doesn't look like you're trying to spoof root).

I believe fetchmail is at some gnu site, which is probably where I got it
from. I unfortunately do not have an exact URL...

Hope this helps some :)

> Also, you understand that sendmail isn't a pop server. if you want to receive
> mail on your netbsd machine, and have your users read it with Eudora or whatever,
> you have to build qpopper (which is in the pkgsrc tree ;-) )
>
> Brad

Josh Hope                                          root@unixgeek.ml.org
UNIX System Administrator                        http://unixgeek.ml.org
'Endless roll the waters past!                        - Lay of Leithian
To this my love hath come at last,                    - Lines 1220-1223
enchanted waters pitiless,                           By: J.R.R. Tolkien
a heartache and a loneliness.'