Subject: Re: Trouble using 'cu' with modem on serial port -- help!
To: Tim Bessie <tbessie@eci.net>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/24/1997 17:13:43
On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, Tim Bessie wrote:

> By the way -- I've just put the file
> ftp.netbsd.org:pub/NetBSD/NetBSD.pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/tar_files/src/sys
> .tar.gz
>
> onto some floppies to take home, to see if I can get the PB180
> video memory mapping program fixed.  Is this (besides the usual
> snapshots bits under 'snapshots') all I need to do kernel development?

That should do it.

> Also, do you happen to know what parts of this tar file I can
> remove, once extracted?  As it contains the source for all system-
> specific code, I probably can get rid of a lot of it.

You can pretty safely remove all of the subdirectories under sys/arch
except for the one you care about - mac68k.

> I wonder how long it'll take a 33MHz machine to compile the whole
> kernel -- start it up in the morning and it'll be finished around
> midnight, I'm fearing'. ;-)

Well, on my Mac IIci (25MHz 68030) it takes about 25 minutes to do a
``make depend'' and then about 3.5 hours to do the ``make'' for a GENERIC
kernel.  My custom kernel (with a lot of stuff stripped out) takes even
less time.

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com |