Subject: Re: Trouble using 'cu' with modem on serial port -- help!
To: Tim Bessie <tbessie@eci.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/24/1997 12:25:47

> Folkses...
>
> I've been successfully using 'pppd' and 'chat' with a modem
> attached to one of my PB180's serial ports.  However, when I
> try to connect to the port directly using 'cu' (as I have been
> accustomed to do for eons on other Unixii), the command
> either hangs on opening the port, or there is no response from
> the modem when it IS open, and 'cu' does not respond to any
> tilde commands, either.

Unfortunatly opur cu is a bit of an orphan at the moment. tip
works better, but only marginally.

What are you trying to do with the port?

> Looking at the pppd 'options' file, it looks like pppd knows
> about NetBSD/mac68k's special serial-port modes, and how
> to set them, so by the time 'chat' starts up, the port's already
> been set correctly by pppd (by an ioctl(), I presume).  I don't
> know if 'cu' is able to set the port this way, but I don't
> think so (you can set some things up via a UUCP file,
> which isn't available in the snapshot I have, for some
> reason -- at least, it wasn't anywhere in /usr).

The only non-standard serial port mode is cdtrcts, which is a hardware flow
control mode. It sounds like you're doing stuff which wouldn't need it.

> Is there a different program I should be using, instead of 'cu',
> that knows about NetBSD's particular port settings?  Or is there
> a minor device number I can use that will set the appropriate modem
> modes?  I suppose I could write a small program that would open
> up the serial device and set the modes, then just sit there
> while I used 'cu' to connect, but I'd rather not have to do that.

Try tip. Also, cat /dev/tty00 will keep the port open, and then you can
use stty to play with the modes. Or you can set local in /etc/ttys
(as one of the tty flags for that line).

Take care,

Bill