Subject: Re: JDK 1.0.2 for m68k arch
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/24/1997 19:13:47
At 16:14 Uhr +0100 24.11.1997, Ken Nakata wrote:
>On Mon, 24 Nov 1997 10:53:52 +0100,
>Hauke Fath <hf@melog.de> wrote:
>>
>> for what it's worth, there seems to be a port of SUN's JDK 1.0.2 to the
>> SunOS 4/sun3 (see <http://www.nyx.net/~jsanford/sun3-jdk/>).
>
>Have you taken a look at Kaffe?  It says it has been tested on
>NetBSD/m68k 1.0.  Also, the latest release is said to be compatible
>with JDK 1.1.3.

Err... I've been tracking the kaffe mailing list for months. The best that
I ever got out of a kaffe binary was a "Hello, World!" -- on NetBSD/i386.

Someone who was named as "having ported Kaffe to NextStep" repeatedly asked
to be removed from the web page and denied he had ever seen a working
NextStep port.

I do not mean to flame Tim Wilkinson and his mates, but I feel their claims
of supported systems are widely exaggerated, probably to fish for financial
founding. (Cygnus appears to have taken over the project, they seem to
specialize on embedded systems.)

Kaffe 0.90 and 0.91 do not even pretend to build on MacBSD -- some
incompletely defined structs or such. I haven't looked into 0.92, yet, as
it comes without AWT support (the library they use has not been upgraded to
1.1).

I may try the 1.0.2 compatible Kaffe 0.87 one of these days (comes with AWT
support), but I have way too little time at my hands currently.

	hauke