Subject: Re: How much memory for X11?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: J R Gasser <esrpo@eng.warwick.ac.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/24/1997 17:18:48
> stuartm@nildram.co.uk (Stuart McLuckie) wrote:
> > Is 8MB enough real memory for X11? I've installed it on my LCII/4MB & it's
> > not enough. Would an upgrade to 8/10MB be sufficient (perhaps a secondhand
> > IIsi with a lot more memory might make more sense).
>
> 8MB is barely enough, especially when you want to run a graphical web
> browser, GNU Emacs, or other kitchen-sink type applications (ug, is
> there any kitchen-sink app other than Emacs, BTW?).
>
> A lot of people are much happier with 16M or more memory than with 8M.
>
> Ken

At present I'm trying to set up an old Mac IIcx that has 8 M ram but a
big 21 inch screen with NetBSD because I want to use Emacs to edit
whole pages at once.  There is no real hope of finding money for more
memory at present, and I'm not convinced that it would be the best way
to upgrade in any case.

Apart from having some serious difficulties in getting X11 to install
(and no success yet) I only started trying to use X11 because the
distribution version of Emacs wants to run with it (though it would be
nice....) .

Given the above comment that 8M is barely enough (which sounds about
right) and that I don't care about running more than Emacs at present,
can someone point me to an Emacs source that doesn't want to run over
X11 but will run in the old-fashioned way on NetBSD 1.1

Thank you

Russell  Gasser

esrpo@eng.warwick.ac.uk