Subject: Trouble using 'cu' with modem on serial port -- help!
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tim Bessie <tbessie@eci.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/24/1997 09:57:06
Folkses...

I've been successfully using 'pppd' and 'chat' with a modem
attached to one of my PB180's serial ports.  However, when I
try to connect to the port directly using 'cu' (as I have been
accustomed to do for eons on other Unixii), the command
either hangs on opening the port, or there is no response from
the modem when it IS open, and 'cu' does not respond to any
tilde commands, either.

Looking at the pppd 'options' file, it looks like pppd knows
about NetBSD/mac68k's special serial-port modes, and how
to set them, so by the time 'chat' starts up, the port's already
been set correctly by pppd (by an ioctl(), I presume).  I don't
know if 'cu' is able to set the port this way, but I don't
think so (you can set some things up via a UUCP file,
which isn't available in the snapshot I have, for some
reason -- at least, it wasn't anywhere in /usr).

Is there a different program I should be using, instead of 'cu',
that knows about NetBSD's particular port settings?  Or is there
a minor device number I can use that will set the appropriate modem
modes?  I suppose I could write a small program that would open
up the serial device and set the modes, then just sit there
while I used 'cu' to connect, but I'd rather not have to do that.

- Tim Bessie
tbessie@eci.net

Tim Bessie
tbessie@eci.net