Subject: Re: Problems with X11...
To: None <f94bw@efd.lth.se>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/24/1997 10:37:32
On Thu, 06 Nov 1997 11:40:53 +0100,
BW <f94bw@efd.lth.se> wrote:
> What files (all of them) do I need to configure to get X11 running?
>
> This question should be added to the FAQ!

Um, FAQ is, as others have already pointed out, a list of frequently
asked questions, so it takes at least a couple of people asking the
same question for the question to go into it.  We typically try to
help people solve problems in an individual basis if the problem is
not reported frequently.

Also, step-by-step instructions for setting up things tend to be
compiled in various how-to's, rather than in the FAQ, though there
doesn't seem a how-to for setting up X (doh).

> What editor should I use in order to configure the configuration files?
> Not that I think there is a special editor for this purpose, I mean,
> which one is the most preferable use?

Preferable, there's none.  You can use whatever you like.  The
standard editors that come with the distribution are ed, ex, and vi,
but among more commonly used are pico (that comes with the pine mail
user agent) and GNU Emacs.  I think there are a number of ftp/Web
sites where you can download precompiled binary files for these, but
as I'm not a frequent user of such sites, I don't know any specific
URL.

As for my own preference, I'd stick with vi as root although I'm a GNU
Emacs user most of the other times, because Emacs tends to clutter
directories with back-up files (*~) and has an annoying problem when
editting hard-linked files.

Ken