Subject: Re: NetBSD with root on internal HD and usr on external
To: None <browerab@psouth.net>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/24/1997 10:19:54
On Mon, 24 Nov 97 09:48:46 -0500,
Austin Brower <browerab@psouth.net> wrote:
> Hello Y'all,
>      After being successful in installing and operating NetBSD 1.2.1 on a
> IIsi's external 80mb HD, we (My friend and I) would like to reinstall
> NetBSD so the root and swap partitions are on the internal 40mb HD and
> the usr partition is the external HD.

Sounds good.

>      This is where I get confused.  Which distribution files are
> installed on the root partition?  I know the kernel would go there, but
> what about etc and base?  We don't mind deleting all of the info we had
> stored on the machine.

No, you don't have to worry about that.  Simply run MKFS on the root
and usr partitions, then run Installer Minishell to create a directory
"usr" in the root, mount the usr partition on /usr, and quit
minishell.  After that, you should be able to install the distribution
just like you would with a single partition (anything that goes to
/usr will go to the usr partition because it's mounted on /usr).

Don't forget to make /etc/fstab before quitting Installer.

Ken