Subject: Re: color X
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
From: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <71410.25@compuserve.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/24/1997 00:37:52
On 11/23/97 at 10:31 PM Ken Nakata, kenn@remus.rutgers.edu wrote:

>On Fri, 21 Nov 1997 18:30:01 -0500,
>"T. Sean (Theo) Schulze" <71410.25@compuserve.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have considered this method, but when there is eventually a color
>> server to go with 1.3_alpha's Xserver I would probably have to re-gzip
>> all of the fonts.
>
>Not awfully likely, since gzip can handle compress .Z files...

...but your Xmacbsd.960512 server can't.  At least I understand that is
why I couldn't use your server with the 1.3_alpha X distribution.
Someone else suggested gunzipping the fonts and then compressing them so
that they could be used with Xmacbsd.960512.  I was presuming that any
future color server you built would follow the 1.3_alpha method of using
gzipped fonts rather than compressed fonts, and then the fonts would have
to be back in gzipped form.  If I understand what you wrote above
correctly, I would not have to change the fonts back, because the
1.3_alpha server uses gzip to handle the fonts and it is capable of using
the fonts in compressed format.  Is my understanding correct?

Cheers,

Sean.

                 T. Sean (Theo) Schulze
71410.25@compuserve.com            TSSchulze@aol.com
"Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare current"
("They change their sky but not their soul who cross
  the ocean.")  --  Horace