Subject: Re: NetBSD Freezing?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Josh Hope <otaku@unixgeek.ml.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/23/1997 22:29:21
On Sun, 23 Nov 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > On Sun, 23 Nov 1997, Colin Wood wrote:

> > > Are you sure this machine isn't on a network?  This actually looks kinda
> > > like the LAND bug attack, but I don't know enough about that to say for
> > > sure....
> >
> > I'm absolutely positive, unless you'd count the Internet as a network :P
> > There's no other computers in this house...
>
> The internet counts for this attack. Are you running a web server off this
> machine, or anything with a noticable net presence?

Yep, I do run a Web server. Also have 25 users, an IRC server, and a
client connected to IRC 24 hours a day...

> Does the stack trace always involve tcpoutput? There's an attack (which
> is in vogue at the moment) which will make the ip output (called by
> tcpoutput) system get ill from just one packet. I.E. I send a machine
> one packet, and it dies. Though I thought the death should be a panic,
> not seizure.

Not positive, I've only written down the trace once. The freeze hasn't
happened since. If it happens again, I'll do another trace and check if
tcpoutput is in there...

> > > What kernel are you using here?
> >
> > GENERIC SBC #26...nothing newer will boot on my machine (and anything
> > non-SBC really screws my drives over). (Don't you remember my posts
> > concerning kernels > GENERIC SBC #26 not booting on some machines? :))
>
> I thought that got fixed recently?

I've sorta been in limbo with NetBSD lately :) It may have been...

> Take care,
>
> Bill

Thanks much Bill :)

Josh Hope                                          root@unixgeek.ml.org
UNIX System Administrator                        http://unixgeek.ml.org
'Endless roll the waters past!                        - Lay of Leithian
To this my love hath come at last,                    - Lines 1220-1223
enchanted waters pitiless,                           By: J.R.R. Tolkien
a heartache and a loneliness.'