Subject: Re: NetBSD Freezing?
To: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/22/1997 14:49:54
On Sat, 22 Nov 1997, Colin Wood wrote:

> That's not entirely true, actually.  There have been a number of cases
> where I've managed to make a mess of something while in multi-user mode,
> then shutdown to single-user mode and run fsck followed by a 'reboot -n'
> to preserve my fixes.  So it is still somewhat useful (although I admit I
> prefer to simply boot single-user in the first place, fsck, and then go
> multi-user :-)

If you didn't have the -n option, you still could remount your root
partition read-only and then run fsck.  Of course, that's one more step to
remember, and when you've hosed your disk, the next thing to fail is ones
memory.  :)

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com |