Subject: Re: NetBSD Freezing?
To: Josh Hope <otaku@unixgeek.ml.org>
From: Armen Babikyan <synapse@lethargy.mit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/22/1997 13:20:52
hmm, this could be because of some bad hardware, and i'm thinking hard
drive right at the moment, because mac IIvx's have a SCSI (DMA?) problem
with quantum drives+ncrscsi kernels. this problem makes the activity light
on my hard drive go on for about 30-40 seconds, paralyzing everything
about my computer, and a long error is then posted in syslog.  I have had
other occurances with other drives (and older distributions) making my
hard drive paralyzed (with the activity light on) along with my computer,
but fine after a reboot.
I don't know the reason for the problems i descibe as having in old dists,
but the new one seems to be some scsi problem that's unresolved on IIvx's
(which, incidently, are supposedly identical to performa 600's).
see if you can see any hard drive activity stuff going on. maybe the disk
is bad (or getting bad) :\
good luck,
  - a