Subject: Re: NetBSD Freezing?
To: Josh Hope <otaku@unixgeek.ml.org>
From: Adrian Rollett <acrollet+@andrew.cmu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/22/1997 11:13:15
On Sat, 22 Nov 1997, Josh Hope wrote:

> >Uh, yes, please do.  Sorry I didn't make that clearer :-)
>
> Sorry. I'll get that info as soon as I can...
>
> >Hmmm...perhaps something was corrupted as a result of the power outage?
> >You have done a full fsck, haven't you?
>
> Of course! I always fsck -p then reboot -n after a power outage or force
> restart, as I should :) If it was corruption, why would it take 6 days to
> show up? I find that extremely strange in itself :) But I suppose it is
> possible...

Please take this as a question from an inexperienced sysad and not an
accusation, but i was curious what reboot -n does, looked it up, and the
man page sez:

     -n      If the -n option is specified, the file system cache is not
             flushed.  This option should probably not be used.

What is the raison d'etre for reboot -n ?

Thanks,

-Adrian