Subject: Re: NetBSD Freezing?
To: Josh Hope <otaku@unixgeek.ml.org>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/22/1997 00:27:12
Josh Hope wrote:

> >Could you get a kernel trace after the next freeze?  In other words, hit
> >the programmer's switch to drop into the debugger and type 'trace' at the
> >'db>' prompt.  If this doesn't work, you've got something waiting with
> >interrupts off for some reason.
>
> Yes, I could do a trace. Immediately after the trace, everything froze,
> and the programmer's switch refused to work again. Do you need to see the
> trace?

Uh, yes, please do.  Sorry I didn't make that clearer :-)

> >Is this machine networked?  If so, can you ping it?
>
> Unfortunately, the answer to both questions is "no"

Oh well.

> >Perhaps with a little more info, we can figure this one out.
>
> I certainly hope so! It's so strange to just "freeze" after a 6 day
> uptime! And before that I had a 20 day uptime, broken only by a power
> outage. So, as you can see, it was an EXTREMELY stable machine.

Hmmm...perhaps something was corrupted as a result of the power outage?
You have done a full fsck, haven't you?

> I already am missing NetBSD. I find it hard to live without. I'd really
> like to get this rectified :)

:-)

> The weird thing is: I changed exactly nothing with my machine at least
> 24-48 hours before it just started freezing. I didn't even download
> anything, compile anything, etc. It was just so extremely strange!

Well, hopefully, the trace output will give someone a clue where to start
looking.  BTW, you probably need just the function names, I don't think
their arguments are all that useful (although please include them if you
have time).

Later.